Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Upside-Down Refrigerators and Other Mental Drains

We’ve recently moved into this beautiful home.  I hesitate to even call it a move because we didn’t change states or countries…just transporting stuff from one house to another.  OK so maybe that’s moving, but as far as moves go, it was pretty easy. 

That is…until we got unpacked and I was reminded how much I usually function on autopilot during the day.  Repeatedly searching under the kitchen sink for the rubbish bin.  Groping uselessly on the wrong side of a doorway for a light switch.  Staring idiotically at the inside of the refrigerator because you can’t find the ice cubes.  (My opinion of freezer-bottom refrigerators has temporarily soured.)

Every transition requires re-learning those tasks we used to do “automatically”, and thus consumes an exhausting amount of brain power.  So although the house is excellent and I’m very sure I’ll love living here as much as the rest of my family, I’m still in the midst of my mini culture-shock.  Hey!  I just celebrated my 40th birthday and you know the saying, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

Be patient with me and when I spend an excessive amount of time on my new verandah drinking tea, remember that the key to thriving during transition is to focus on the positive and keep a thankful attitude.  And I am very thankful for this positively gorgeous view!  <wink>

1 comments:

cjb said...

Missy, I can relate to this article! And I'm sure this won't be the last move either of us makes! Thanks for reminding me to focus on the positive and take it as it comes....one step at a time.
Love you, Mom

Post a Comment