Sunday, April 24, 2011

Doll Shoes

(Day 2 of 15-day Prayer Challenge)

As a little girl, I (Missy) had a beloved doll named Mandy.  Mandy came with a beautiful wardrobe of handmade and store-bought clothes, but my favorite part was her shoes.  Unfortunately they liked to slip off and hide under the bed, between the sofa cushions, or in the darkest reaches of the closet.  Because of their tendency to wander, Mandy rarely wore her shoes outside.

But one day Mandy had a tea party to attend, and it was imperative that she be dressed for the occasion.  So donning her fashionable foot attire, she accompanied me on a grand tour of the back yard.  Went it was all over, Mandy’s shoes were missing.  I searched everywhere but they were nowhere to be found.  Life as I knew it came abruptly to an end.

Distraught I went inside and begged my mom for help.  After the anticipated, “Did you look here…” questions, she asked me if I prayed.  “Pray?”, I asked in surprise.  “Yes,” said my mom.  “Pray and ask God to help you find the shoes.”  I wondered how God would help me find my dolls shoes, but pray I did.  The shoes didn’t magically appear, but I must have felt better because I managed to forget about incident for a few hours.

Later that day, I had an urge to play on our swing-set.  While flying back and forth through the air on a swing, I noticed a little pair of plastic slip-ons sitting ever so neatly on the top of the slide.  To this day, I don’t know how they got there.  I’m as certain as I can be that I had checked that slide for the missing shoes.  How could have I have overlooked them so carefully placed as they were?  I believed God worked a miracle and found them for me, and Mom and I gave Him full credit for the discovery.

The bigger miracle, however, is how God used that event to plant a mustard seed of faith in my heart.  There is no doubt in my mind that God cares about the little concerns in my life.  I can entrust all my burdens to Him.  All those concerns about moving, finances, my children’s welling-being, etc.—He’s got them.  He’s glad to help and he has never failed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment